Monday, July 26, 2010

Wk 12, Day 3: Corn Test, Part 1

We returned from our wonderful vacation full of sugar, chocolate, and no reactions. Hooray! Feeling pretty sure these next two weeks would be a breeze and just a formality to finish out the ED, I thought today would be a good day to start testing corn.

I fed my daughter a modest amount of corn for breakfast - just the amount included in the soy-free vegan butter called Earth Balance we've been avoiding because of the corn content. For lunch, some corn tortilla chips on the side of some rice pasta with corn and other veggies mixed in. For dinner, I loosely followed a risotto recipe and used Organic Quinoa gluten-free corn pasta (organic corn flour, organic Quinoa flour, dried organic red bell pepper, dried organic spinach) in place of the rice. It was basically garlic sauteed in olive oil, add frozen corn and veggie broth, Quinoa pasta, topped with her soy-free butter. Much to my surprise, my daughter's skin reacted pretty strongly, a bright red. Then it occurred to me, while I had included the quinoa because it is a protein that also included corn, it is a protein and I assumed (I'm not sure why) that she wouldn't react to it because it's not a bean, which she has reacted to.

So now, I'm not sure if she reacted to the protein, as she has been having issues with up to this point, or the corn. I'm going to stop the test for now, wait for her rash to subside, and the plan is to test plain corn once she heals to see if it is the corn or the quinoa that did it. As an aside, we enjoyed the taste of the dinner, even my 2 yr old liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment