Sunday, July 11, 2010

Wk 10 Day 3: New Flour Mix & Homemade Pizza Crust

We went back to Bolles organic farm and picked raspberries and blueberries. Of course, we made more scones again with the berries. I would find a new breakfast recipe, but honestly, these are so delicious, I have no motivation to find something new. I'm trying out a new gluten free flour mix from Manna Mills. It's supposed to be similar to Bette Hagman's *magic* gluten-free flour mix but it's sold in bulk so I'm guessing it's more reasonably priced. We used it in place of the brown rice flour and tapioca flour in the scone recipe. They came out great and a little bit chewy.

My wonderful sister-in-law came by and gave me her trusty recipe for pizza crust. It was the best one we've made. We just added homemade tomato sauce, 2 kinds of olives and sundried tomatoes.

Here's what I learned after making it: It was a little thick in places, so next time I will roll it out really thin. Also, there were a few ingredients I didn't have: gelatin (I need to pick up more vegan gelatin or agar agar) and dry milk powder or almond flour. Instead of adding flour to replace the dry milk powder, I added rice milk, which changed the consistency of the dough for the worse. I added more flour and fixed it, then put some plastic wrap over the top of the dough so I could roll it out since it was so sticky. I only used half of the batter, and the unused half firmed up nicely after sitting in the bowl. Anyways, I digress.

Auntie Marie's Gluten Free Pizza Crust Recipe Makes 2 14" pizzas.

Ingredients:
1-2 TB dry yeast
2 cups warm water
1 tsp sugar or honey (I used brown rice syrup)
2 1/2 cups brown rice flour*
1 cup tapioca flour *
1/4 cup dry milk powder or almond flour
3 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp salt
2 tsp unflavored gelatin powder
1 tsp Italian seasoning
2 TB olive oil
2 tsp cider vinegar

*I replaced both flours with Bette Hagman's flour mix and it was great.

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

1) Combine warm water, yeast and sugar in a small bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes.

2) In a medium mixing bowl, blend flour, dry milk powder, xanthan gum, salt, gelatin powder and Italian seasoning. Add yeast mix, olive oil and cider vinegar. Beat on high 3 minutes.

3) Pat on greased pan or pizza stone. Bake crust only for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and add toppings. Bake 20-25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment