Sunday, July 11, 2010

Wk 10, Day 4: Popsicles & No More Orange Juice

It's warmed up around Seattle lately, and to keep cool and hydrated, I want to give my kids yummy drinks and popsicles in addition to water, which we drink a good amount of. Also, the ice cream truck is coming by more often, and I don't want my daughter feeling left out if I can help it. I went to the grocery store to search for an ED friendly popsicle, and found one! It's frozen strawberries in a tube, actually. I think there might have been a few more options that I passed over because they have pineapple in them, which we are avoiding. The one I bought is called The Power of Fruit, All-Fruit Banana Berry Bars (strawberries, bananas, strawberry juice concentrate, water) from Central Market.

I had been serving my daughter orange juice pops all week and noticed her rash that rose up during our gluten test wasn't going away and I wondered if orange juice could be the culprit. I've taken her off of orange juice in the past, and since I've also removed pineapple due to reactions that may be caused by the acid content, I figured it was possible that orange juice was irritating her too. So, for now, orange juice and all citrus is off the list.

So, what to do? I mixed together a bunch of strawberry juice that was sitting at the bottom of a bag of defrosted strawberries, some water and a little brown rice syrup. The result? Strawberry juice that's not very sweet for just drinking, but for a popsicle they work. Next time I'll add less water so they will have more flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment