Monday, June 28, 2010

Wk 8, Day 3: Strawberry Pancakes

This weekend we went to Bolles Organic Farm to pick some strawberries. We ended up getting one flat! The kids had a fun time running around and my daughter was so excited about all the delicious looking berries. There's one more good week of strawberry picking, then around July 10th they'll have blueberries and raspberries. My freezer will be filled with organic berries. How fantastic!

Of course, once they were cleaned (and most put into the freezer), I went to work finding ways to eat them. We started with strawberry pancakes topped with strawberries and maple syrup, strawberry smoothies and, of course, our favorite scone recipe. All delicious. I didn't have a gluten-free pancake recipe on hand, so I adapted one of my favorite pancake recipes (I don't remember where I found it originally months ago) and they were great. I think I'm getting the hang of gluten-free baking. I intended to make my daughter a side of home fried potatoes, but as I was having a veggie burger with fries for dinner, I gave her french fries instead. I do like a little time outside the kitchen!















Fluffy Strawberry Pancakes

1 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
2 tsp baking powder (the original recipe calls for 3 1/2 tsp but I ran out. either works - the more you add the fluffier they are.)
1 tsp salt
dash of cinnamon and nutmeg
1 TB maple syrup
1 TB brown rice syrup (optional - I don't think I needed both sweeteners)
1 1/4 cup rice milk
1 egg (used egg replacer)
3 TB canola oil
1/2 - 1 cup berries

1) In a large bowl, mix flours, xanthan gum, baking powder, salt cinnamon and nutmeg. Make a well in the center and add sweetener(s), milk, egg replacer and oil. Mix until smooth. Add berries and mix, being careful not to over mix.

2) Heat lightly oiled griddle over medium heat. Pour or scoop (I use a soup ladle) batter onto griddle. Brown both sides and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment