Sunday, June 6, 2010

Week 5, Day 2: Raspberry Scones & Tortillas

I'm planning to wait out week 5, since my daughter had another rash breakout a few days ago. I'm not sure what was the cause, but it might have been something from a party she attended. She received and used a Tootsie Roll flavored lip balm with ingredients too small to read, and I'm wondering if that was the cause. She also had some green peas (from her restricted list) that day, and some non-organic potato chips (other than being made from non-organic potatoes, they were safe). In any case, I am most comfortable waiting out this week before testing cheese, of all foods. It's the one food that appears to have caused most of the initial damage to my daughter in terms of physical reactions, and I really need to make sure she's reacting to it when we test it, and not something else, like lip balm.

My daughter asked me to make more Wondie bars for this week's breakfasts, and as much as I truly love them, I think I'm ready for a break and something new for breakfast. I looked to The Whole Life Nutrition Kitchen for something new, and picked Raspberry Scones. It did require a trip to the grocery store for xanthan gum, different flours and shortening (Spectrum Organic palm oil), but I decided I should really start buying these items since it looks like we could be eating this way for quite a while, perhaps through the summer. We used coconut milk and skipped the vanilla. These turned out so delicious! I think they are the most decadent treat we've had so far on the ED, and I think anyone, restricted diet or not, would enjoy these. The whole house had a nice raspberry coconut smell.

raspberry scones

My daughter was excited when she learned we could eat shortening, as that means we can try making tortillas, one of her favorite foods that her grandma taught her to make. I tried one batch with brown rice flour that didn't have very good flavor, then tried another batch with gluten free all-purpose flour, and that batch was pretty good, although I never quite struck the right balance between too dry (crack when rolled out) and too wet (stick to the counter when rolled out). I'll post the recipe once I find the right balance.

We stacked macaroni and cheese sauce (for cheese), mashed potatoes and pinto beans on top. I think avocados and a side salad would have been a nice addition, but my daughter wasn't too interested in either of those. All in all, a successful day!

tortillas

2 comments:

  1. Yummy! Guess who is going to be making those scones this week!! Thank you so much for providing a wealth of information for me. -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I made them again today with fresh raspberries from Bolles organic farm. Also, we went to Manna Mills and bought their gluten-free flour mix from the bulk section (in place of brown rice flour, tapioca flour), and they came out a little chewy - really delicious!

    ReplyDelete