Friday, June 4, 2010

Week 4, Day 7: Frosting & Pollen Allergy

I made some frosting today roughly based on a Whole Life Nutrition Kitchen recipe. I mixed 1-2 TB canola oil, maple syrup and arrowroot powder. I love that they recommend adding crushed beet (squeezed through a garlic press) to add a pink color! How creative, since we are avoiding artificial colors. My daughter was very happy with the frosting which was good on the gingerbread cookies we made a few days ago (which are vanishing quickly, because I keep eating them). Also, I noticed a cake (on the same page as the frosting recipe, above) I could make on this diet, except for the cocoa powder and vanilla. I might try it, if there's an occasion. Maybe 4th of July? We'll see. We used to eat dessert almost every day, after lunch and after dinner. I'm kind of liking this excuse to eat considerably less goodies.

Also, I found out a likely cause for my daughters coughing, stomach aches and sore throat. We went to her pediatrician yesterday and they swabbed her nose and discovered she is allergic to some kind of pollen that's in the air right now. Apparently, post nasal drip can be responsible for stomach aches. The doctor said it could just be spring pollen and clear up by the end of June, or she may also be allergic to summer pollen. The way she suggested we figure out which it is, and to verify that in fact this is what's causing all of her symptoms is to put her on Claritin. However, when I checked with our Naturopath, she said we should hold off on using Claritin for as long as possible as it will interfere with the elimination diet. So, we'll wait on that. It's good to know that a pollen allergy is a possible cause of the worsening cough and mild stomach aches, although it would be great to verify this and give her some relief from it. At this point I'm hoping it will clear up on its own in the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment