Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Week 4, Day 5: Gingerbread cookies

We are waiting out this week in hopes that my daughter will be back to 100% by Saturday so we can start her testing phase. In addition to her flare-ups over the past few weeks, she has also had a bit of a cold, which her Naturopath said could interfere with the results of the testing. We've come this far, so I'd really like to be sure about whether or not she's reacting to foods during the testing phase.

In anticipation of a party she has coming up this weekend, we baked some gingerbread cookies. One of the party activities is decorating sugar cookies, and I thought it would be nice if she could decorate (and eat) cookies too. I asked her if it was okay that she would be decorating a different kind of cookie, and she responded, "Yes, it's ok, I mean the point is to decorate something. It will still be fun." Sometimes I think I come up with things to worry about,  because clearly this child isn't concerned about being different.

gingerbread

So, I followed a recipe from vegweb, substituting gluten free all-purpose flour, rice syrup for molasses, skipped all ginger (because we were out of powdered and I didn't want to risk fresh ginger being too strong for my daughter). It made a good firm cookie for decorating, but doesn't have much flavor. My daughter sampled one tonight and said, "they're ok", which I will happily accept. I'm going to make some frosting for her to bring so she can decorate them with raisins, and anything else I come up with between now and the party that seems like it could be glued to a gingerbread cookie.

No comments:

Post a Comment